Cariboo Carbon Solutions specializes in wildfire reforestation in dry forest ecosystems, wildfire risk reduction through fuel break planning, and riparian habitat restoration.
Our planting and restoration prescriptions are developed by forest professionals and ecologists in concert with our partners and collaborators, using best management practices which includes planting the most suitable species mix for each ecosystem we reforest.
Some examples of our work in riparian rehabilitation and incorporating biodiversity values:
- For the last 5 years, our professional team has worked to reforest over 20,000 hectares of forests impacted by the Hanceville and Plateau fires of 2017.
- We’ve recently partnered with the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (Provincial government) to plant aspen, black cottonwood, and willow along sections of Highway 8 and Highway 5 to restore riparian ecosystems damaged during the November 2021 floods.
- For several of our planting projects this has included the use of aspen in companion planting. Each year for the last 5 years we have included increasing numbers of deciduous trees in our planting prescriptions. As a result of this, Cariboo Carbon Solutions has been a leader in the development of plug stock for deciduous seedlings.
Other related work we implement and manage include:
- Permitting and authorizations
- Field reconnaissance and silviculture surveys
- Planting and reforestation (specializing in dry forest ecosystems, wildfire risk reduction through fuel break planning, and riparian habitat restoration)
- Contracts and bidding
- Archaeology assessments
- Access management, road building, deactivation, rehabilitation, and permitting
- First Nations referrals
- Danger tree assessments and falling
- Machine site preparation prescriptions and implementation
- Mistletoe sanitation
- Fuel management and fuel break design
- Pile burning
- Carbon Projects (Carbon credit revenue form reforestation projects)